TOUR IS FULL - Tour of Judson Glass Studios

Event Start Time

Sat, 03/09/2013 - 3:30pm - 4:30pm

Hosted By:

Event Description

THIS TOUR IS FULL.

William Judson was at the forefront of the Arroyo Guild of Craftsmen, an influential group of artists, sculptors and architects at the beginning of the 20th century, who fueled Southern California’s Arts and Crafts Movement.

His house, built in the 1890s in the town of Garvanza, was used as the campus for the USC College of Fine Arts starting in 1901. Judson would serve as that School’s dean until 1922. Fire destroyed Judson’s home in 1910, and a new structure was built to house the USC College of Fine Arts until 1920, when USC moved the school to the central campus. Judson Studios then moved into the building, where they have ever since remained in the forefront of stained and architectural glass design, production and restoration.

In the first ten years of the building's life it was also headquarters for a group called the Arroyo Craftsmen, who made furniture and art objects for fine homes of Los Angeles, including work fabricated for noted Arts and Crafts architects Greene and Greene. Visitors included Frank Lloyd Wright, Ernest A. Batchelder and Henry and Charles Greene.

William Judson and his three sons founded the glass studio, and now, Dave, the fifth generation proprietor, is at the helm. Dave will lead us on a tour of the studios, giving us a glimpse into his family's legacy and ongoing creative work. Between the Lummis House visit, the Southwest Museum Tour, and this, the attendees will gain a deeper and more informed appreciation of Arroyo Culture, and its influence on Los Angeles Culture of the 20th century and beyond.

100 years ago, Judson Studios was the meeting place for all the artists and visionaries of the time, and LAVA is delighted to pay a visit to this iconic space and celebrate the Visionaries of an earlier era.

Please note the two other events LAVA is hosting on this day in the Arroyo.

Location

Judson Studios
200 S Ave 66
Los Angeles, CA, 90042
United States
Phone: 213 915 8687
34° 6' 46.9224" N, 118° 10' 48.3312" W
See map: Google Maps